Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snowetry Slam Night




This one’s dedicated to Cheerio (not in a MotOG-friendly kindof way of course) and to all who tolerate/love/can't live without winter



I don’t care.

My legs are soaking wet from running around in the snow
rolling around in it
chasing and tackling my friends
a bunch of twenty five year olds refusing to grow up
howling at the moon behind the clouds
pretending not to know where we are
for a few timeless moments

I don’t care
Because tonight is Winter
and i’m sitting in my room flanked by three windows which are half covered
with two-dimensional mounds of snow plastered against the bottom half of the panes
as if some great Winter God had miraculously thwacked it against my window
while in truth it had collected there one minuscule flake at a time
I don’t care because tonight is magic
and I am free to roll in it, laugh at it, eat it
to be free as a child, nostalgic as a spinster

My snow framed windows
put my desk in perspective
littered with unopened library books renewed 11 times stacked upon unread bought books
And overdue reminders that I can’t remember where to stick them so that I may remember them
Im writing this poem
on the back of a medical insurance form
i was supposed to send in a long time ago
Soon it will join many other forms and lost ambitions
In a dark stuffy drawer
But i don’t care

I don’t care
because tonight is Winter
and the world is coated in guilt free powder
pure as a child
like a protective coating
against the harsh reminders of reality
The burning sidewalks of New York
normally snapping with the sound of heels
pounding lost dreams and identities into the pavement
are eerily silent, muffled by a God-given tranquility
And the cars sweep by slowly
as if transfixed by the serenity that holds the air
So fresh and full you can eat it for dinner


Today I spent Shabbos (interesting grammar?)
with a family who lost two children in one year
And it seems as if every day younger people are getting cancer
And almost everyone knows someone
who died with some unexplainable turn of fate
But tonight I don’t care, tonight the slate is clean and we can dream
and mushy songs on the radio hit the spot


So let it effin snow
because tonight is winter
Because tonight I remembered that I can remember what it means to be alive

4 Comments:

At 12/23/2009 12:36 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love the way the poetic terms and descriptions combine and harmonize with the real'ness of your emotions.

I've never ever before seen a poem that had 'effin' in it.

Or have I not read enough poems?

Nice. Real nice. It's actually especially making me nostalgic of snow and the cold and that carefree feeling that comes with it... All this, while sitting in the hot Cabo weather.

Oy!

 
At 12/23/2009 7:58 AM , Blogger Baruch said...

Thanks Benny! I like the way you put it. 'specially the part with the harmonizing and the realness stuff.
Peace to Cabo

 
At 6/30/2010 7:15 PM , Blogger the sabra said...

like my snow poem/piece. from a billion years ago.

refreshing to read.

 
At 7/19/2010 1:31 AM , Blogger Baruch said...

thanks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home