Sunday, October 28, 2007

I think I should go to jail



(Quick note: After the Columbine High shooting, we sadly learnt that the tragedy “Could have been prevented” if only the boys’ diaries and essays would have been taken more seriously. So I just hope that writing this doesn’t make me a suspect. :)
So why would I want to go to jail?
Well it all started about a year ago. I was in South Carolina and I went to jail. Well not literally, I was visiting Jewish inmates for the High Holidays. Being inside of a jail for the first time was quite a jarring experience. You walk the halls and think “look at these people, for years this is all they’ll ever see.” Just these walls… and for part of the day when they’re lucky enough, they can go outside and see a few more walls. You leave the building and suddenly its literally a whole new world out there. Suddenly you’re seeing everything you take for granted through the eyes of the inmate. Things along the road that you’d never give a thought when you were driving by on the way there. Just a gas station, just a store where you can buy ANYTHING you need, a beautiful bird flying overhead, a peaceful shady park with a beautiful arrangement of flowers growing. And you can’t help but think “and those guys won’t be able to see this for another ten, twenty YEARS!”.
Do we realize how many things we take for granted every day? What would that inmate give to be able to watch the sun set into a million reflections on the water, to hear the sound of the waves, to see a child smile….. And we are lucky enough to witness these blessings every day.
So what can I do? What is the secret to appreciating what you DO have when you HAVE it? Any suggestions anyone?
Should I go to jail? Probably not a very good idea, I hear the food’s not too good there… What about Amish town?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home